Welcome to my Gallery
of Model and Prototype
This is a mixed gallery of train photos I've taken of prototype railroads and model railroads.
Most are from the Ontario and Quebec provinces of Canada because I am a member of the Niagara Frontier Region (NFR) of the National Model Railroad Association (NMRA).
I am a former member of the Northeastern Region (NER) of the NMRA as I grew up in Montreal and only moved to Ontario in the 80s. I continue to attend NER regional conventions whenever I can.
There are some terrific model railroads in Connecticut, Maine, New Hampshire, and New York State.
I'll dig out some of the photos from my archives and put them here so check back from time to time to see what I've added.
If you subscribe to my RSS feed that is located in the Navigation area at the bottom of this page you will receive automatic notification of updates to my site. RSS is totally anonymous and saves you the trouble of using a bookmark to find out if I've added anything new.
I have one request. I don't remember where I photographed some of the model railroads or who owned them. Most were photographed while on layout tours at conventions and meets. The photographs were taken because I was trying to capture good modeling ideas and scenes that were an inspiration for me and others in my club. Should you recognize your railroad, or someone's that you know, please send me an email using the contact form reached from my home page. I would like to give proper credit to these superb model railroaders who allowed us to visit their layouts and take pictures.
Links to Train Photos in my Gallery
- I started this gallery with photos from a CARM meeting in 2007 that was held in Palmerston Ontario, Canada.
- Here are some prototype photos taken in 2007 on the CP mainline at the road crossing just north of the yard that is used for autoracks going in and out of the Honda plant in Alliston, Ontario
- Some Prototype photos from the Elgin County Railway Museum, St. Thomas, Ontario and a photo of a model transfer table and a tugboat, also on display at the museum.
- Like passenger stations? Here are some photos of a historic Canadian passenger depot at Craigleith, Ontario.
- Take a ride on the HCW Canadian steam train that runs from Hull to Wakefield, Quebec.
- The CP-Rail Christmas train stops near Barrie, Ontario on December 3, 2008.
- I visited the Revelstoke Museum and Archives in 2007 and took these pictures.
- If you are interested in building a small model railroad have a look at these photos of narrow gauge railroads on display at a train show in Schomberg, Ontario in 2007.
- A CPRail freight highballs out of Toronto on Easter Sunday, 2009.
- I have added photos from the NMRA's NER convention in Albany NY, 2007. Included are pictures of Dick Elwell's Hoosac Valley RR and Lou Sassi's layout.
- Here are photos from the CARM show, Hamilton, May 2008.
- These are pictures of Gord Baverstock's DC-controlled HO scale layout in Owen Sound, Ontario taken in September, 2008.
- Click here for photos from the Brampton Train Show, October 2008.
- Go here for photos from the NMRA NFR convention in Ottawa, April 2008.
- If you're interested in live steam and large scale model railroads, click here for pictures of a 1"=1 foot garden railroad in Ontario, Canada.
- A neighbor to the above layout is Brian Swanton's G-scale garden railroad representing the historic Kettle Valley Railway of British Columbia, Canada.
- These are model train photos taken on layout tours during the 2003 National Convention held in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
- Here are train photos of the Suncoast Model Railroad Club in Clearwater, Florida (photos by Bob Sparkes).
- Archival photos of the abandoned Tobique Valley Railway (TVR) in New Brunswick, Canada.
- These are modular layouts at the 2009 Barrie Train Show in Barrie, Ontario, Canada.
- Click here for videos and photos of the 2009 Copetown Train Show presented by the Canadian Association of Railway Modellers (CARM).
- These are videos and photos of the N and HO scale layouts of the Scarborough Model Railroaders at their February, 2009 Open House in Toronto.
- Learning to drive a GP7 diesel on the Ontario Southland Railway during the Woodstock Turn 2009 NMRA (Niagara Frontier Region's (NFR) Regional Convention.
- Photos and videos of the Saturday layouts and train show during the Woodstock Turn 2009.
- Photos of the Ontario Western RR during the Woodstock Turn 2009.
- Video from the 2009 Train Show in Midland, Ontario.
- Photos and some video clips from the 2009 Train Show in Bracebridge, Ontario.
- Personal experience travelling on high-speed trains in Europe.
- CARM operating session on Peter Stamford's Fond du Lac layout.
- 5th annual Muskoka Layout Tour, October 4 2009.
- Bill Bradford's Allandale Yard layout.
- NMRA NFR 2010 Train Show at Tottenham, Ontario.
- Photos from Trainfest 2010 and layouts in the Milwaukee, Wisconsin region.
- Jason Jongen's Canadian train photos (mainly CN and CP).
- Track damage from Australia flood in Queensland.
- Photos of a CPR historic station at Labelle, Quebec.
- Photos in CN's MacMillan Yard in Toronto, Canada.
- Layout tour and prototype photos from the2012 Sudbury Convention by the NMRA-NFR region.
- Photos of Roger Hauka's HO model railroad.
- Photos from the 2012 Muskoka Tour in Ontario, Canada.
- Photos from the narrow gauge railroads in Colorado and New Mexico.
- Photos from the Colorado Railroad Museum HO train club in Golden, Colorado.
- Photos of the Model Railroad Club of Toronto before dismantling (Dec. 2012).
- Photos of an Incredible chocolate train.
- Train photos of the York Railway Modellers layout.
- Gallery of Photos of my UNRR HO layout before dismantling.
- Photos of Railroad museums in Alabama and Kentucky .
- Photos of Rick Hatton's HO layout
- Photos of Brad Lebeck's HO layout
Another site you might like to look at if you're planning to delve into model railroading is train photos from Greg's site about building a model railroad.
(See the sidebar in the right column about how Greg built his website).
Your story remembered is a website where you can share your stories and photos about your hobby.
Don't forget to bookmark this page so you can find your way back here!
Another subject that I've always been interested in is photography. I've retired my darkroom and gone fully digital. If you would like to improve your picture taking or learn about using a digital camera, consider this program by Dan Feildman:
Learn Digital Photography Now
And if you're serious about taking photos, invest in a digital single lens reflex (DSLR) camera that allows you to change lenses. This way you can control both closeups in the basement and long shots on the right-of-way. Check out my model train photography tips.
There are cameras on the Internet take videos of passing trains. You may be familiar with the crossing at Rochelle, Illinois accessible from the Trains.com website where you can view BNSF and Union Pacific trains. They also have another webcam of the Norfolk Southern Railway at Roanoke, Virginia. You may not be familiar with this one covering locations on the Union Pacific that was referenced in Model Railroader magazine in December, 1977. I last checked the site in December, 2008 and it was still operating. Try it for yourself.
Feel free to use any of my photos. If you have train photos you'd be willing to share with other modelers around the world, go to my Contact page to send me an email to let me know what you have.
How to make Social Media work for you
Copyright© 2008-2017 model-railroad-infoguy.com